Thursday 14 January 2010

6th January- Heading for the big apple.

Waking up at 3.35am was painful this morning. And looking out the window at all the snow made it worse. But we got up, just about, and all got ready for the taxi to take us to terminal 5. The morning was a bit of a blur if I'm honest. I don't tend to function too well at ridiculous times in the morning.
As we walked out the front of the hotel to the taxi the ice cold and snow hit us. I can't think of anything worse at 5am.
While were in the taxi, my nerves really kicked in about the flight and thoughts kept crossing my mind so I remembered the oh so useful, reassuring tip about flying everyday for 19,000 years. Somehow it does NOT help at all. But being me I kept it to myself and tried to carry on.
Pulling up to terminal 5 we hurried into the building to check in with the rest of the group.
Only to find out that flights are not leaving Heathrow until 8am, giving us a delay.
I don't take to well to waiting around at the best of times, especially when I'm nervous.
So off I went with Claire, Toni and Lauren to get some breakfast and find a comfortable spot to sit and catch up with the girls. Who by the way had clocked on to my not so well hidden nervousness.
So after all the waiting we went through for our full body searches and onto the plane. It all seemed a bit rushed for my liking, but that was probably my worrying.
Sitting on the plane is the worst part for me, Toni and Claire really helped though which was great. We had a two hour delay on the run way and eventually got off at 10.30am. I kept my eyes closed for the whole of take off grabbing hold of both Claire and Toni's hands. When a magazine fell from an overhead cabin I instantly shouted out: ''what the hell was that?''. I was so loud Lauren who was four rows ahead of me turned around and apparently laughed at me, which I did not witness as my eyes were now closed even tighter.
Once I had settled down on the plane we had lunch which was a not so enjoyable chicken curry. I tried to block out most the flight and when sandwiches came round, to our delight it was chicken again. This time chicken corrination.
We arrived SAFELY at JFK around 12.30 New York time, went through immigration and collected our bags.
We got a coach from the airport to the hotel. On the journey everyone was snapping away through the window as we approached the skyline, I loved arriving to Manhattan. Everyone was so excited and anxious to get exploring.
We arrived into our hotel room. I was sharing with Claire and Toni. We stepped through the door and instantly compared it to Fawlty towers.
None the less we got changed and freshened up and decided to go for food. When I was in New York in July I ate at Bubba Gumps and decided that the girls would love it.
We had the best lemonade at Bubba Gumps- it had strawberry's in it!
After the meal we took a walk around times square and took many a photo.
When we arrived back at the hotel we were officially knackered and ended going to bed at 8pm.
The best sleep ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment