Thursday 14 January 2010

5th January- A snowy experience

Today is the day before us FMB students fly out to New York city. As I had just finished up packing sitting on my bed waiting for the time to pass I get phone call from Lauren: ' I'm still in Cambridge doing last minute shopping, can you get to my house at 6.30pm instead of 6pm.'
Typical
A longer wait... to pass the time I decided to google 'fear of flying' as I am PETRIFIED right now of the flight tomorrow, even tho I have done the exact same flight to NY twice before. Ive never been a good flyer and always think of the worst when it comes to possible accidents.
It has actually made me feel a bit better as I now know that you would have to travel everyday for 19,000 years to come across a fatal accident.
Reassuring.
At 6.20pm my mum gathered up my belongings and helped me drag my no doubt already overweight case down the stairs and into the car. I sad my farewells to my dad, whilst receiving the usual lecture of taking care and not spending all my money. So as I ignored this lecture I swiftly moved out the door and climbed into the front seat.
I arrived at Lauren's house around 6.30pm where her dad was ready and waiting to take us down to Heathrow. I said my goodbyes to my mother ,who always gets over-emotional when I go away ,and got into the car to avoid any more awkward emotional situations.
The drive down to Heathrow was fairly standard, chatted away with Lauren, went over everything we had packed and how much we thought our cases weighed.
Then all of a sudden the snow hit. It came as if from nowhere.
Ridiculous.
Ques of traffic formed, snow got heavier, how is it only our country that cant cope when snow hits?
So I decide to ring Claire who is in Nottingham to give her a heads up of the snowy situation down in London. But it turned out the snow was just as bad up there, if not worse.
Excellent.
Then the thoughts of: their not going to make it to Heathrow tomorrow, We will miss our flight, even worse: our flight will be cancelled began to occur.
Anyway, we arrived to the Jury's inn hotel at Heathrow around 8.15pm to meet Rebekah, waiting for us in reception. Our room was really nice, and we settled in straight away by ordering room service! Had to be done. Again, we compared cases, clothes and thoughts on the snow situation as Rebekah's flight from Manchester had earlier been cancelled.
After this we decided to try to go to sleep and not worry about it. I was sharing a bed with Lauren who did not want us to fall asleep before us so ended up staying awake most the night. Dreading the alarm!



No comments:

Post a Comment